Monday, November 24, 2014

Buying Beef in Bulk (part 2)

The most common question that I get when talking about buying beef is, "What do you get?" So this time I decided to take an inventory of what I actually got.


The hanging weight for the full side of beef was 312 pounds.  I split this with four families. So our portion was about 78 pounds .  That is then cut and packaged into roasts, steaks, and hamburger and wrapped in freezer paper.  Hamburger is all packaged in 1 pound increments.  Roasts are cut to fit into a crock pot and steaks (3/4") are put 2 per package.

Inventory (#packages)
Hamburger (1lb)- 22
Chuck Roast- 2
Shoulder Roast- 1
Sirloin Tip Roast- 1
Rump Roast- 1
Stew Meat- 1
Cubed Steak- 2
Filet- 1
Ribs- 2
Beef Sirloin- 1
Top Loin- 1
Ribeyes- 2
Liver- 1


Other things that we did not get but the other families did.
Skirt steak, Flank Steak, Brisket, Ox Tail

One thing to note.  This is the smallest cow we have ever bought from this particular farmer and I am not sure why.  The previous year I purchased a half side of beef that was around 300lbs hanging weight.  This year a full side of beef was the same size.  So I do not think that this will last us a full year.  Last year's purchase lasted a full 15 months.  So be sure to ask your farmer what a 'typical' size cow is so you can be prepared.

No comments :

Post a Comment